Blepharoplasty or excess skin / eye bags removal is a surgical cosmetic procedure to improve the appearance of the upper and/or lower eyelids and rejuvenate the area surrounding the eyes.
Eyelid surgery is recommended by clinic experts after a certain age or periods of stress and intense fatigue, when the skin around the eyelids sags, leaving a sad and tired appearance.
Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is a common cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin or fat from the eyelids. The aim is to improve hooded or droopy eyelids or eye bags. Saying "eyelid lift" is a misnomer because the eyelid is not truly lifted during surgery.
What does blepharoplasty involve?
A blepharoplasty can be done under local anaesthetic with sedation or under general anaesthetic. Surgery is performed and lower or upper eyelids with different variations and results. The surgeon would need to know about any medicine you may be taking to reduce your risk of blood clots, such as aspirin or warfarin.
Upper eyelid excess skin and fat can create a heavy looking eyelid, aged appearance, puffiness, and sometimes block the upper field of vision. Upper blepharoplasty is performed to remove excess skin and fat and can improve the field of vision.
Surgery on the upper eyelids generally involves:
- making a cut (incision) along the eye crease in the natural skin fold of the eyelid
- removing excess skin, fat or muscle
- closing up the incision – the scar will be hidden in the natural fold of the eyelid
These physical improvements will make you feel more confident and self-assured and will boost your self-esteem.
Lower eyelid surgery allows for access to the eyelid without visible incisions, making this technique perfect for patients who need fat removed or added.
Surgery on the lower eyelids generally involves:
- making an incision either just below the lower lashes or on the inside of the eyelid
- moving or removing fat from the bags under the eyes, and sometimes also a small amount of skin
- supporting the muscles and tendon of the eyes if necessary
An upper blepharoplasty may take about one hour. Surgery on the lower lid may take up to two hours. Most patients can go home the same day.
Recovery after eye lift surgery
Your eyes will look brighter and clearer and this combined with trimmer eyelids will give you a more youthful appearance. You will look fresher and brighter rather than tired and stressed. Some recovery is necessary after the surgery to return the eyes to a relaxed state.
- It's advisable to take about a week off work to recover from eyelid surgery.
- It may be obvious for a little longer than a week that you've just had eyelid surgery.
- You won't be able to drive for a number of days after the operation. Bruises, scars and redness may take several weeks to fade.
Blepharoplasty eyelid reduction cost
Is there any price difference globally?
In the United States,according to 2017 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average price of cosmetic eyelid surgery is around $3,000.
In the UK, a blepharoplasty may cost anywhere between £2,000 and £6,000. You should also take into account the cost of any consultations, further surgery or follow-up care that may be needed.
Prices for eyelid surgery in Czech Republic
Prague is much more affordable from the blepharoplasty price perspective. The price of blepharoplasty is 21,000 CZK, which is around €890.